VOTE EVERY DAY IN SEPTEMBER!!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's the #s, not the $s

On my way out of the shelter tonight, I looked at the register receipt and realized that the total dollar amount of the days revenue was not telling me anything important. I wanted to know how many animals were adopted today? How many lost dogs and cats went home with their owners? How many strays were picked up off the streets and are going to have food, water and a warm, safe place to sleep tonight?

In almost all my previous work, it's been about the dollars. Did this event net enough $? Are there enough members to meet budget $? How many $ should we ask for in this grant proposal? Meeting fundraising, earned revenue and expense projections was important.

Now I'm not looking at the revenue side. I have to monitor the expense side but my ultimate measure of success is how many animals did we save today?

I really like that ruler.

No comments: