VOTE EVERY DAY IN SEPTEMBER!!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Where has ten months gone!!?!!

Yes, it's been 10 months since I posted here and good changes have been taking place. Among the most obvious are the new outdoor play yards and the outdoor dog runs. Now our dogs get more time to play outside. Law students painted the public areas of the shelter last month in blues, green and yellow, a huge improvement for both the staff and our visitors. I know it's made a big difference in my mood when I go in.

The most exciting change is to come - we've opened bids to build a new surgical suite, surgery prep and surgery holding area. We are going to upgrade the clinic space and improve all the interior animal spaces with solotubes (skylights) to bring in natural light. It's not the $8.6 million upgrade/renovation I'd like to be undertaking but that will come, someday.

Since my last post we've had a change in our city's elected officials and unfortunately, the shelter and animal welfare challenges are not of the same importance to the new regime. Maybe it is better to ignored than on the firing line but I miss the support from the top I used to have.

I have missed writing here and hope to be much more regular as we move into fall.

1 comment:

Single and Sane said...

It's good to hear what's going on at the shelter. I wish you had more support from the city, too, but you're doing a great job!

Margaret