VOTE EVERY DAY IN SEPTEMBER!!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Georgie

Each of us has a breed of animal that has a special place in our heart. It might be the type we grew up with, that a friend has or that we have always just liked the look of. No matter where it came from, it is part of us and we bring it with us to our work. For me it's chocolate labs - I have two. They have privileges the dogs in my parent's home never had - full access to the house, sleeping on my bed, trips to the creek to swim. They are both from rescue and I love them dearly.

This is Georgie, a three year old male chocolate lab. He was brought in stray and was terrified in the shelter. I was walking through the kennels when our vet tech was trying to take him to the clinic. He wouldn't walk, cowered and wouldn't take a single step. I fell in love. It turns out he is also heartworm positive. So I took him home.

Georgie is now happily playing, eating and sleeping at my home. He has conquered his fear of ceiling fans, stairs and traveling in car over the past week. He loves rolling in the grass and following my two everywhere. When they bark, he barks. When they sleep, he sleeps. He is a totally different animal out of the shelter. I took him back last Tuesday to be neutered and to start his heartworm treatment. Now a month of keeping him fairly quiet while the medicine kills those nasty worms. Will he become a permanent resident?? I don't know yet.

I'm taking work home again.

No comments: