VOTE EVERY DAY IN SEPTEMBER!!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Desk Dog


Yesterday I had animals in and out of my office all day. It was my fifth day with Little Bit, a black and white Chihuahua who came in last Friday after his person passed away. He is five years old and very much a lap dog. He became my desk dog when after placing him in a blanket on my desk, he was very happy to sit there and watch the world go by my office door. Each morning I came in he was happy to see me, and wanted up on the desk. Yesterday he was adopted right before lunch. A family with two children fell in love with him and were thrilled to be able to take him home right then. Little Bit landed on his feet.

I asked Dr. P who needed to come in with me next and she told me of a black lab/pit mix on the back row that could use some exposure. The young dog was very energetic but soon calmed down and was a pleasure to have in the office. We played ball and greeted everyone who walked by. A few hours later as I pet her, she had a seizure. Her stance changed completely, she began crying and snapped at me. It lasted about 90 seconds. We immediately got her to the clinic but they couldn't find anything physically wrong. She didn't return to her previous engaging behavior and wasn't making eye contact at all. It was very disturbing to see such a sweet, friendly animal change so swiftly.
We had to euthanize her. Dr. P said it may have been the first sign of distemper. I'm glad it happened with me rather than with an adopting family and that she had fun, love and companionship before hand.

Then toward the end of the day I had a beautiful german shepherd and a black chow/newfie mix puppy with me. They got along beautifully and it was a good way to end the day.

No comments: